Welcome to the website of the Northumberland Liberal Democrats
The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community, and in which no-one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity.
Our Priorities for Northumberland:
- PROMOTE Local Democracy.
- SUPPORT Vibrant Communites.
- TAKE ACTION On Enviromental Issues.
Northumberland Liberal Democrats will fight to:
REBUILD AND VALUE OUR LOCAL DEMOCRACY
- Restore our County Council's reputation, damaged by scandal and bad governance under Tory rule
- Replace cronyism and conflicts of interest with transparency and accountability for Council Tax payers
- Reject the Tories' trashing of local planning rules, which will cut consultation and democratic decisions
MAKE LOCAL LIFE AND LIVELIHOODS BETTER
- Increase the amount of affordable housing and use powers to end the scandal of empty homes
- Develop targeted economic support for local businesses, farmers, and the self-employed after Covid
- Challenge cuts to local services and demand a fairer financial settlement for our county from Westminster
ENHANCE AND PROTECT OUR ENVIROMENT
- Energise sustainable public transport and provide more electric vehicle charging points and cycle routes
- Encourage green development, including renewable energy projects and natural habitat protections
- Expand kerbside recycling and recycling site provision, with a real drive against anti-social fly-tipping